Saturday, May 09, 2009

Kidisms

First, I have to apologize. I did something in my last post that is a cardinal sin. Something that makes me cringe every time I see it. A personal pet peve, right about up there with people who use the word irregardless. (sorry guys, that's a double negative, like saying "I'm going to un-thaw the meat" "Oh, honey, you're going to put it in the freezer??" It's either irrespective or regardless...irregardless is not a word.)

I typed their instead of there.

See, a person with such strong opinions on "irregardless" or "un-thaw" should be flogged for using their or they're or there incorrectly. Oh the depths I have fallen. The horor. So, please forgive me, everyone. I will try to be on better behavior. Spelling, I cannot do, (seriously, is it table or tabel? Label or Lable? ah crap, now I'm not sure which is right.....) So, yes, spelling I cannot do, but grammar I should be able to handle (or is it handel?) I'm probably the only person who got caught cheating on a 3rd grade spelling test (don't read that mom....). Yes, cheating at spelling. For shame. For shame.

So, the zoo was a rocking good time. Though I thought Hubby was going to go a bit postal on me in the car this morning.

There are two things that are bad for my marriage:
Putting together Ikea furniture
and
Reading directions

We are terrible at both. Actually, directions of any kind are very bad if we're together. We've nearly divorced over our bedroom set, nearly had to call in the cops for a domestic incident when we "put together" (and I use the words "we" and "put together" verrrry loosly) my elliptical machine, and any road trip tends to end in disaster.

Well, on this trip I forgot directions all together. (Take that!) Which, apparently is worse. Then the Emabassy lady gave us directions for coming from the SOUTH, not HEADING SOUTH on the freeway. I was nearly left at the side of the highway. But alas, we made it....... only to near divorce today, yet again.

So, we're heading to the zoo. Little did we know it was "mommy & me" day. Seriously? I have never SEEEEEEN so many people at the zoo. It took us an hour maybe more to make it 1.3 miles and find a parking spot. All the while I have to endure "I knew we shouldn't have gone swimming this morning and we should have come early" etc, etc, etc. But alas, we found a spot on some hill about 4 blocks from the zoo.

All in all, though, it was a good trip. I even invented the "car time out". Curious? I thought so. Here's how it goes. When you 1-day-short-of-being-2-year-old whines and cries for about 30 minutes enroute to the zoo, you then take away all the toys, blankets, lovies, etc that you have given her until she screems bloody murder. Then you turn around and say "if you can be good, you can have them back". This was much more effective that "if you don't stop crying, you won't get to a) go swimming b)play with your friends c) go to the zoo d) anything else i could think of taking away." No, the car time out gave us a good 45 minutes of happy baby. Phew.

To get you into the mind of my two year old (well, she will be tomorrow) I have to tell about the naughty baby book. We were reading this book about a baby who is naughty (they needed the car time out). Baby throws fits, spits, makes a mess, etc. Well on one baby baby is holding the ball while another baby cries. Page reads "Share the ball, baby, baby, baby please". Well, as I read it, I hear Little Miss say "Get your own ball, baby" to the crying baby. Yes, "Get your own ball." Sigh.

The last kidism was two days ago. Buddy came up to me while I was on the phone with my mom saying "mommy, i know who I want to be my new mommy. Kate!"
me: "baby, I'll always be your mommy"
b: "no, Kate!"
me: "Sweetie, she's your cousin (thinking abbreviated cousin nick name)"
My mom: "Uh, I think he means his wife."
me: "You mean like how uncle matt and auntie brittani are getting married"
b: "Yeah" (like where have you been??)
b: "Yeah, when I'm big and you're not my mommy."
me: "Then Kate from preschool will be your mommy."
b: "yep" runs out of room.
So, yes, my three year old already, apparently, has a girlfriend at school. His dad would be so proud....if not creeped out by the mommy reference. :)

Well, with a successful weekend away behind us, fun friends to share it w/ and a gaggle of people coming tomorrow, it's time to head.

happy m-day to all the mommies out there.

Don't worry, I screw up more than all of you put together!! :) If you don't believe me, read back through the posts!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachael said...

I totally understand the directions thing...we have the same problem. I've been thinking about getting a GPS just so it will help us not fight when we are trying to figure out where to go. It actually works better if I drive and navigates so sometimes we stop and switch places so I can drive. Otherwise we know a fight is coming :) Happy Mother's Day!

5:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you think GPS's sell so well? Not because men admit they need them!!:) Because if they are alone and screw up, they don't tell.. its the "couple time" thing!

Just take this.. when you are married 52 years, you can even make mistakes on purpose!...so you get to see something besides the road stripes in front of you!

3:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home