Friday, May 08, 2009

My big life change

Man. It has been too long again. Too many cute kid moments not memorialized for the world to remeber. For shame.

Here I am, with a disfigured club finger and no one to share it with. For those wondering the finger has undergone a lovely transformation and about 3/4 of it is now missing. It lead me to the fount of all earthly wisdom. I googled "How long does it take a fingernail to grow back?" that's right. The internet, useful for staying in contact with family, making business deals, world wide instant communication has about 2 billion hits for fingernails growing back. I think it is safe to say that we live in an age of excess! So, my hideous finger, according to my Google search, will be its lovely self in 6 to 18 months; not exactly what I was thinking... But hey, our PA friend says that they get people in the ER when they smash their finger. So I take pride in calling them ninnies.

Life has been crazy busy, and, even though I'm a bit of an admitted stress junkie, it's getting a tad overwhelming. I picked up another design client, which is good, Hubby is generating a lot of paperwork with his business (which is good, except for the stress because I'm the only one who knows if we have money or not!), school has been taking up about 15 hours a week, which is too many, and work has been religated to only 15 hours per week, which is probably not enough. I still have only about 12 hours of arranged child care. And, that math doesn't quuuuiiiite work out right! I temp myself out of bed in the morning by promising coffee with calorie ladden creamer to my tired body. The body no longer cares, though. I think I may have to buy whipped cream and up the ante a bit.

So, what is my big life change? People are going to laugh, but I've found a way to cope with the business while trying to keep a semblance of sanity: I use the dishwasher.

Shocking, no?

I've always used the dishwasher, just not a lot. I thought it "wasteful" to run it when it wasn't full. I though it "silly" to put pots, pans, measuring cups, blenders, in their. I thought it "terrible" to run it more than 3 times a week. Well, call me wasteful. Call me silly. Call me terrible. I run that puppy at least once a day, sometimes twice. Hand washing is a thing of the past at my house. You may think that I considered it theraputic or something to wash dishes. I did not. I'm about 2" too tall for a normal sink and it hurt my back. I just hand washed because it made more sense. It no longer makes more sense. So, I fire up the Whirlpool and enjoy all that modern convenience has to offer...if only they could make an option for "put everything away" I think I would have all the time I need for work.

Well, we are off to the big city this afternoon with the kiddos. We're staying at the Embassy Suites, the mecca for families. Why is it a mecca? Simple, really. There is a separate bedroom, allowing parents to retire at 10pm instead of 7 pm. There is a free breakfast, at which my children can arrive in their jammies if the spirit so moves. (Plus, bonus! there's no way we'll sleep past free breakfast hour!) And, it has things like cooked to order omlets and fruit. It has a pool. But the ringer? It has free alcohol from 7 to 9 pm. That's right. Free. A literal oasis in the desert of toddler-hood. Embassy Suites=greatest invention ever....totally, totally worth the $100.

Then, after we fill up on custom omlets, we plan to take the chillens to the zoo. Which reminds me that I need to charge the camera batteries. Well, though I have much more to write, I didn't drag my tired arse out of bed to do this. No, there are Australian ads to book, invoices to print (hopefully....please Lord let there be invoices to print!) and there are Geology rock labs to complete (PS, Geology is NOT a easy lab science. I soooooo should've chosen Astronomy or something....), there is cheesecake to make, a tort to finish, and a jello salad missing a top layer. There is toothpaste on the bathroom mirror, a nasty ring in the tub, remanents of another rock lab on the counter, apple peels from three weeks ago that need to get out to the compost pile, and some kind of grime all over the kitchen floor. I'd better fill my coffee cup.....

3 Comments:

Blogger mom_of_3_girls said...

Have fun at the zoo!!

8:54 AM

 
Blogger Rachael said...

Hang in there...life can be tough sometimes. Have fun at the zoo and that sounds like an AWESOME hotel! I may have to find one around here :) It's like a mini vacation! Have a great time.

11:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two more time savers.. throw the apple peels in the garbage disposal and buy the cheesecake!. unless you get a gold star on your outside door for compose piles and homemade cakes! :) Do you know how much "loony bins" cost??:) Love you! Keep on keeping on. Have a great time at the zoo?

9:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home